Allen County Jail inmates, have been offered electronic tablets at no cost. But based on how the inmates use them, it’ will cost their generous loved ones or their own pockets a pretty penny.
The details were recently revealed after the commissioners in Allen County considered to have a change on an already existing tablet program that had been announced earlier on.
The three commissioners approved the changes allowing entry of 800 tablets unanimously. Their decision came after questioning both the Sherriff’s department office and the jail officials about:
How they would regulate the tablets
The advantages that the gadgets would provide.
How the Allen County Jail Inmates Will Benefit from Tablets
As officials reported, results everywhere show that tablets reduce rates of:
- Inmate-on-inmate assaults
- Inmate-on-correctional officers assaults.
This is because tablets increase inmates-loved one’s contacts thus not, feeling like they’re cut off from the outside world. This, in turn, leads to better behavior, the officials said.
However, some of the challenges are:
- Inmates won’t have the internet access
- To make calls or send messages, the loved ones outside the jail will have to request to be added to the inmate’s phone contact.
- Outgoing and Incoming messages will have to be monitored
- There will be a 10-minute delay in the delivery of messages making text chatting inefficient.
The aim for scrutinizing the messages is to:
- Remove illegal and inappropriate contents from the messages.
- Achieve the messages for use in further investigations.
Some services (offered via the tablets) will not be charged. They include:
- The Bible
- Religious studies
- Legal documents
- Health requests
- Possibly commissary requests.
However other services will be charged (monthly). They include:
- Phone calls.
- Text messaging- 25 cents for texts with up to 2,000-characters
- E-Books – $3.99.
- Audio boos- $19.99
- Music- $24.99
- Games- $5.99
- TV audio- $6.00.
- FM radio- $17.99
- Movies- $7.99 for every 48-hours
And if one needs a tablet replacement for other reasons apart from “inmates’ willful acts,” it will cost $249.
How The Allen County Jail Will Gain From The Deal.
The Commissions increase by 5% at various revenue slabs up to 40% when monthly average revenues surpass $70.
For instance, if the average monthly usage of the 800-tablets lies at $20-$25, the jail could earn commission worth $2,400 a month. The earning could go as high as $22,400 a month, in the event that average usage is over $70.
The Public Communications Services Inc., of Reston Virginia, is the one given the exclusive mandate to provide the services.
Denying an inmate, right to access the tablets won’t be taken as one of the disciplinary measures.
However, removing the access to some of the applications might be applied as disciplinary measures. And if an inmate ruins the tablet from misconduct, the inmate won’t get another one.